Frank was commissioned in 1943 as a Navy Armed Guard Petty Officer in WWII where he was a 2n<3 Class Gunners Mate in charge of gun crews while on board three Merchant Tankers and one Liberty Ammunition Ship.
2019 Grand Marshall Frank A Maher, USN-USNR 1943-1968
He served in the Atlantic, European, and Pacific combat areas and was discharged in 1946 to the Organized Reserve Navy Training Center in Clifton, NJ.
Frank was recalled to active duty from the Clifton Center in 1950 for the Korean War where he was assigned as Petty Officer First Class Gunners Mate on the USS Menard APA201 as Gun Captain of Main Gun Battery. The Assault Transport Menard participated in the troop operations along the coast of North Korea during two periods of combat actions, Communist China Spring Offensive 1951 and the UN Summer Fall Offensive 1951. Ship and crew received 2 Bronze Stars.
In 1952, he was separated to the Clifton Reserve Center once again. After standby status for many Cold War crises and called up for Cuba, he was discharged in 1968 after 25 years of active and inactive service.
Awards and Medals:
- US Navy Combat Action Ribbon (WWII)
- American Campaign Medal Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal Europea n-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
- WWII Victory Medal US Navy Combat Ribbon- Korea Korean Service Medal- 2 Bronze Stars United Nations Service Medal
- Republic of Korea War Service Medal China Service Medal
- National Defense Service Medal-1 Bronze Star
- US Navy Expeditionary Medal- Cuba US Navy Reserve Medal US Navy Cold War Certificate Foreign Awards
- Liberation Medal and Certificate- France Battle of the Atlantic Certificate- England Republic of Korea
- Presidential Unit Citation Republic of China Badge of Honor- Taiwan Republic of China Mutual Defense Medal- Taiwan
- NJ Distinguished Service- WWII NJ Distinguished Service- Korea
Comments powered by CComment