Once again, the area is being targeted by an Auto Thief Ring that is seeking to ideally steal the car, or at a minimum remove anything of value that was left in the car.
The possible ring of thieves hit both Roxbury and Jefferson in the last 24 hours, and if history repeats itself, they will stay in the area until moving on to the next area.
A Resident from Jefferson reported, “The guy parked his car across my driveway at 4am, I think they were going to possibly steal or break into my car. I was away for the night, but my security system alerted me immediately. I called JPD right away @ 4 am as I was watching this live in my driveway while I wasn’t home.”
Auto Burglary Prevention Tips:
- Do not leave valuable items visible in your car.
- Close all windows and lock all doors before leaving your vehicle.
- Park in well-lit, heavily populated areas.
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, find another place to park.
- Avoid parking next to occupied vehicles.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Make a copy of your registration and insurance and keep them in your wallet or purse. Then remove all forms of identification from your vehicle. Anyone with permission to drive your vehicle should also have a copy of the registration and insurance with them to furnish to the police if necessary.
- Do not leave garage door openers in parked vehicles.
- Take note of emergency/payphones near where you have parked, in case you need to use them.
- If you see any suspicious activity or individuals, please contact UCPD immediately when you feel safe to do so by dialing 9-1-1 or 642-3333 (from cell phones).
- Don’t think your dark tinted windows will hide your valuables. Thieves often use flashlights to see through the tint.
- If you are parking your vehicle for several days check on it periodically.
Comments powered by CComment