ROXBURY, NJ (September 11, 2019) – Thirty-three new eager educators attended Roxbury’s New Staff Orientation at Roxbury High School for three days at the end of August.
The mix of new hires included general and special education teachers, school psychologists and social workers, nurses, and leave replacements. Organized by Maryann Gibbs, Roxbury’s Human Resources Director and the district administrative team, NSO is an event comprised of two and half days of training followed by a half a day of building-based preparation.
All were greeted by a team of welcoming veteran and new administrators Tuesday morning with a continental breakfast. Each day followed suit with various activities of introduction, instruction, and initiatives.
They got up to speed the first morning with what it means to live and go to school in Roxbury from members of the RHS Varsity R Club and other students followed by a tech overview of the staff portal, SchoolDude, Google, and Genesis as well as an update on Roxbury’s Portrait of a Graduate and a Virtual Rox Tour. While the remaining day and a half focused on instruction.
New colleagues were at ease and already working together through various sessions of the Charlotte Danielson’s Framework of Teaching Domains 1-4. The newbies under the guidance of various district supervisors worked together, shared ideas, and focused on planning and preparation, the classroom environment, instruction and assessment, and professional responsibilities.
Thursday morning’s NSO included an update on Roxbury’s Digital Badging initiative followed by ALiCE Training with the Director of Security Jim Simonetti. The remaining portion of the morning included instruction on special education, co-teaching, and content area break-out sessions.
Gibbs shared that “The goals of New Staff Orientation are all-encompassing. It facilitates the process of new teachers acclimating themselves to our district as well as fostering a sense of teamwork and collaboration among all. These three days are an exciting time for both new staff and administrators. They signal the year is officially here!”
Roxbury not only welcomes 33 new staff members but also has some fresh new faces on the administrative team due to transfers, resignations, and retirees. Lincoln/Roosevelt School welcomed Assistant Principal Brian Hamer who started last January. Eisenhower Middle School welcomed Assistant Principal Jessica Swaim who replaced Elizabeth Omegna who moved up to be Assistant Principal at Roxbury High School. RHS also welcomed Matthew Trokan as the new Social Studies Supervisor for Grades 6-12.
In the list below, we are proud to announce and welcome these individuals to the Roxbury Township Public Schools for the 2019/2019 school year:
- Alexis Ackerman, Resource LLD Teacher at Franklin
- Monica Bubay, Spanish Teacher at RHS
- Frank Caccavale, Structural Design and Fabrication Teacher at RHS
- Leanne Cunetta, Math Teacher at RHS
- Samantha Darling, In-Class Resource Teacher at EMS
- Lorey Deeb, REACH Teacher at Kennedy
- Steven Deon, School Psychologist at RHS
- Suzanne Flammer, Preschool Disabled Teacher at Jefferson
- Rebecca Freeborn, LDD Teacher at Franklin
- Thomas Gervasio, Resource Center Teacher at EMS
- Christine Gonzalez, Leave Replace School Counselor at Jefferson
- Sean Hardy, REACH Teacher at Kennedy
- Travis Hubert, DELTA In Class Resource Teacher at EMS
- Justin Khan, Physical Education Teacher at Franklin and Jefferson
- Rachelle Kovacs, School Nurse at LRS
- Catherine Leonard, School Nurse at Nixon
- Alexandra Marrese, TIDES Teacher at Nixon
- Tiffany Martino, TIDES Teacher at EMS
- Nathalie Mahoney, French Teacher at EMS and RHS
- Molly McDonald, Leave Replacement Music Teacher at RHS
- Timothy Orton, Instrumental Music Teacher at LRS
- Kristen Palmieri, Social Worker at Kennedy
- Jennifer Perez, District Social Worker
- Katelyn Polson, Family and Consumer Science Teacher at RHS
- Taylor Rehe, Leave Replacement Vocal Teacher at LRS
- Jean Rex, Grade 2 Teacher at Nixon
- Diana Santelli, ESL Teacher at Nixon and RHS
- Gina Santora, Family and Consumer Science Teacher at RHS
- Nicholas Sciancalepore, School Psychologist at Nixon
- Alexis Somers, District Behaviorist
- Kaitlin Stellingwerf, English Teacher at RHS
- Kathryn Ventricelli, District LDTC
- Courtney Wilson, Grade 2 Teacher at Jefferson
PHOTO ATTACHED (courtesy of Roxbury Public Schools)
- New Staff Orientation 2019 (Left to Right): Front Row: Alexis Somers, Samantha Darling, Nathalie Mahoney, Gina Santora, Kaitlin Stellingwerf, Leanne Cunetta, Suzanne Flammer, Rachelle Kovacs, Sean Hardy, Middle Row: Tiffany Martino, Lorey Deeb, Christine Gonzalez, Catherine Leonard, Taylor Rehe, Molly McDonald, Alexis Ackerman, Courtney Wilson, Rebecca Freeborn, Steven Deon, Back Row: Diana Santelli, Thomas Gervasio, Kristen Palmieri, Alexandra Marrese, Brian Hamer, Jean Rex, Justin Khan, Nicholas Sciancalepore, Frank Caccavele, Matthew Trokan, Jessica Swaim
- Gibbs and New Staff at NSO
Comments powered by CComment