Have you voted yet for the best in the Hopatcong Lake Area? With just over a week to go, the race is too close to call at this point!
Recently the Hopatcong Lake Regional News team had the chance to interview Jennifer DeWitt and Donna Macalle-Holly from the Lake Hopatcong Foundation (LHF). The following article is the third of three articles that covering current projects, plans for 2017.
Just in case you are new to the area, launched in 2012, the Lake Hopatcong Foundation (LHF) improves and enhances the lake experience and environment through their efforts. In addition to initiating projects, the foundation also provides financial support toward efforts undertaken by other lake organizations. These projects range from invasive species prevention to lake education to improve safety, and more. The simple goal is to improve Lake Hopatcong for the enjoyment of everyone, now and in the years to come.
All of this work requires some type of funding, which the LHF as a non-profit group raises in two ways.
The first way is through fundraising events that they create, coordinate and manage with a large team of volunteers. Good examples of these would be:
- Lake Hopatcong Foundation Block Party – The best regional event to promote the lake
- Lake Loop – Getting fit for the lake (can be as easy as walking your dog)
- LHF Nights Out – Getting to meet fellow community members and the LHF
The second way is through annual memberships which span all the way from an individual that costs just $25, family and business memberships for $50, and the ambassador level which starts at $100 and scales upward.
Jennifer DeWitt focused on this area by stating, “Memberships are so important to the LHF. They not only enable us to raise funds for projects and initiatives, but we take every dollar that is given to us and use it to its maximum potential. Memberships also help the Foundation when seeking grants. Grant funders want to make sure a non-profit is sustainable, and they sometimes look at the size of an organization’s membership and volunteer base.”
Donna Macalle-Holly, was quick to add, “We are blessed to have hundreds of volunteers, but with an estimated 65,000 people living in the four lake communities, we need to increase our membership base. More annual memberships will enable us to expand our projects and programming for the benefit of Lake Hopatcong.”
So, why are you not a member yet?
What does LHF provide with your membership dollars?
The work that the LHF provides would take up too much room in this article, so let’s focus one the major areas:
- Understanding the lake ecosystem and keeping it balanced through water quality improvement projects
- Helping in weed control and monitoring of aquatic invasive species
- Overseeing the volunteer Water Scouts and hiring Lake Stewards to help safeguard the lake
- Environmental education outreach from the student level to the general public
So, why become a Member:
Anyone who shares LHF mission of preserving and improving the Lake Hopatcong environment and experience, for today and into the future, should become a member of the Lake Hopatcong Foundation. The work that they provide only helps to sustain the community as an attraction and economic engine in the region.
When you become a member of the LHF, you will receive the following benefits:
- Knowing there is a dedicated LHF staff volunteer staff looking out for the well-being of the lake environment and community
- Electronic or printed update on the latest LHF activities and project LHF initiatives
- Weekly electronic newsletter
- Spring and Fall “Lake Guide” newsletters
- Invitations to special lake lectures and exhibits
- Access to meaningful volunteer experiences and opportunities
- Invitation to the annual membership meeting, which includes the opportunity to hear from the full board and staff as well as a question and answer session.
Take a few minutes now to "Join the Lake Hopatcong Foundation", to improve Lake Hopatcong for the enjoyment of everyone, now and in the years to come.
ONE WEEK ONLY SALE! From December 14-December 20, 2016 at midnight, get 20% off our unique merchandise.