The Hopatcong Hawks are paddling in the Lake Hopatcong Foundation Lake Loop and seek your assistance in reaching 25 team members and raising $3,000 to support the community.
Hopatcong Lake Regional News had the ability to catch up with Dorothy Sabarese from Hopatcong, who once again for the fourth year will be leading the “Hopatcong Hawks” in the Lake Loop 2018 event this year. Dorothy will paddle with her paddle team which includes her 5-year-old granddaughter, McKenna, and her son, Kenny. Her team includes Lake Loop runners, walkers and/or bikers.
Dorothy’s past teams have ranked in the top five donors for the past several events, and she is seeking to raise $3,000 this year for the LHF Lake Loop 2018. “This year I’m raising the bar, and I’m looking for 25 members on my team, and I feel we can reach the $3,000 mark for 2018.” Stated Dorothy.
- JOIN THE TEAM: To PARTICIPATE on Dorothy’s team, HOPATCONG HAWKS: Register for any of the activities (Bike, Run/Walk, or Paddle) by going to https://www.bikereg.com/lakeloop2018. You will be able to join Dorothy’s team AFTER you choose your event and input all your personal information. Select 'Join a Fundraising Team' and select 'Hopatcong Hawks.' A fundraising page will then be automatically generated for you, under the team Hopatcong Hawks, and you will receive an email with details about your fundraising page.
- DONATE: To Dorothy’s team, HOPATCONG HAWKS
“I encourage people to join in the excitement of being on a team, knowing you will have a great time that day, while simultaneously supporting a fabulous organization. The LHF has already done so much for Lake Hopatcong and its surrounding communities since its conception just a few short years ago. They continue to work hard in the areas of education, bringing communities together, and making Lake Hopatcong the best it can be.”
Dorothy can be considered an expert on the Paddle Event relates, “The Paddle event is not that difficult. Expect to spend about 45 minutes to an hour on the lake under very safe conditions. There are support staff throughout the experience as they help with off-loading, cleaning and launching the boat. And during the paddle event, you are under constant supervision by Jet Ski’s that ensure your safety.
“Last year, we had Julie Campbell Mills on our team, who after a devastating car accident and long recovery period, challenged herself to the paddle. She successfully completed the full 2.5-mile kayak paddle and was a real inspiration to everyone! Therefore, I challenge anyone sitting on the sidelines to participate. Be a doer! This is a great event, a great cause, great exercise and a fun day in a fun environment.”
More Information on the LHF Lake Loop:
Lake Loop Lake Paddle – What to Expect | By Holly Odgers
The Lake Loop lake paddle is an on the water experience on beautiful Lake Hopatcong. The paddle is not timed. Participants will navigate the well-marked, 2.5-mile course at their own pace, making it as relaxing or challenging as desired!
The paddle can be completed with a kayak, canoe or paddle board. All three are available to rent for $20 from Ramsey Outdoor, just add the rental during the registration process. Paddlers are also welcome to bring their own craft.
You don’t need to be an athlete to participate in the Lake Loop lake paddle, it’s a very casual event that’s a lot of fun. The course is well marked with buoys, and there is plenty of assistance for participants each step of the way!
- Event Times: Paddlers will be able to enter the course at any time between 11 am and 1 pm. The course closes at 2 pm.
- Course Duration: The course takes approximately 30 minutes for the average paddler.
- Off-Loading Service: Assistance will be available to help off-load crafts and bring them to the water.
- Boat Wash: All Crafts will be washed in a mild water and bleach solution to ensure that no evasive species enter Lake Hopatcong.
- Safety Check: Coast Guard approved life jackets are required for all paddling participants.
- Course Safety: Safety personnel will be patrolling the course with wave runners. In addition, a water rescue boat and the Coast Guard Auxiliary will be available to assist, if necessary.
Comments powered by CComment