Hopatcong Lake Regional News had a chance this weekend to step behind the scenes in the development of this production, and we’re ready to release a series of three articles that will inform you on the Production, the big Talent behind the scenes, and finally a sneak peek of what you don’t want to miss as this slice of Broadway occurs in Hopatcong.
Article #1: The Production of “All Shook Up.”
The “All Shook Up“ musical premiered on Broadway at the Palace Theatre on March 2, 2005, and to keep the production true to life the Hopatcong Drama Club is using the original script as the basis for their play.
In the production, imagine an Elvis-type character (Chad the Roustabout) as he comes to a drab town and proceeds to shake up the town with his “wild” music, gyrating dance moves, and his cool motorcycle. The story is also loosely based on Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night and a book written by Joe DiPietro.
This production features Elvis music and scenes and takes you back in time to the 1960’s to understand what a change in environment this is for everyone as new music and behavior started to take place. Regardless of your age, this production appeals to all age groups due to the storyline, special effects and overall presentation, which means any age group will relate and enjoy the show.
How do High School Students become Broadway ready?
Practice, practice and even more practice: Since the start of this play, the students have put in over 200 hours, in live rehearsal and performance, not counting their personal time spent in learning their parts. So, with this great dedication, we bring you the following major actors within their roles.
Major (local) Stars producing Broadway Quality:
- Devin Bellotti as Chad the Roustabout
- Heather Sutton as Natalie
- Tyler Turnage as Dennis
- Cameron Dinulos as Sylvia
- Kelly Nee as Lorraine
- Dominic Solimando as Dean
- Michael Umholtz as Jim Haller
- Abby Dekker as Miss Sandra
- Rhiannon Bender as Mayor Matilda
- Kevin Gartley as Sheriff Earl.
Information on The production:
- Location: Hopatcong High School Auditorium
- Dates: March 30th – April 1st
- (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) at 7:00 PM
- April 2nd Sunday Matinee at 2:00 PM
- Cost: Adults: $10.00 / Students and Seniors: $7.00
Upcoming Article #2: Producing Broadway Quality Productions: (Due March 26, 2017)
Watch for the second article in this series as we explore more of the talent behind the scenes from both the Teacher and Student aspect. As Hopatcong School District is lucky enough to have so many people, with many years in developing quality productions that equal a Broadway Experience for you.
Behind the Scenes Interviews for the Second Article:
You’ll be amazed at the talent and effort that has gone on behind the scenes, and how they focus this on a Student related project.
- Producer and Director: Joe Ross
- Lighting and Sound: Nicole Schwarz & Anthony
- Chorus: Barbara Fersch
- Technical Director is Mr. Michael Batche
- Choreographer of Dance: Pat Wagner
- Assistant Director and Choreographer of Stage Movement: Christina Ross
- Dance Captain: Abby Dekker
- Pit Band Conductor: Kurt Zimmermann
- Plus... More behind the senes interviews and footage!